Old Faithful Holsters

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Rivet Comparison
05-09-2012, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 01:46 PM by nevadahiroller.)
Thumbs Up Rivet Comparison
Alright, So as many of you know, I use rivets to attach my Kydex to the leather backing. I have been using "Tandy Leather Steel Double Cap Rivets" for this process and they seemed to be doing just fine for this application. I recently saw MikeyB was using a different style of rivet and it looked really nice. So he turned me onto "Tubular Rivets". A little coordinating with Mikey and I had some rivets at my doorstep to try out. Thanks Mikey!!!

First off, here are the Tandy rivets I use.
[Image: 40f79832.jpg]

And here are the Tubular rivets MikeyB uses.
[Image: 7828103d.jpg]

Here is the comparison. The leather I used was about 1/4" thick and the Kydex used was .080 thickness. I riveted the leather to the Kydex with each style of rivet and then simply tried to pull the two apart to see if the rivet would fail. Here we go!

Here is what the test pieces look like. The Tandy Leather rivet (silver) on the right and the Tubular rivet (black) on the left.

This is the front
[Image: 79dce4bc.jpg]

This is the back side. The tubular rivet also has an option to use a small washer on the backside but I chose not to use it right now for an equal comparison.
[Image: b600f434.jpg]

It didnt take very much effort at all to get the Tandy rivet to fail. Sad
One single rivet isnt very strong at all. As you can see, the Tandy rivet has failed but the Tubular rivet is still together after the pull test.
[Image: e38f0af7.jpg]

[Image: 2cb49d00.jpg]

I could NOT get the tubular rivet to fail just by trying to pull it apart. It was WAY stronger and pretty much laughed at me!
The Tubular Rivets are far superior to the Tandy Rivets!
[Image: de6f8860.jpg]

[Image: 3d622410.jpg]

I am also setting all of these rivets with an Arbor Press. So they are really getting set nicely (for a hobbyist).
[Image: 16d12dd3.jpg]

Here are alternative ways to set the Tubular rivets.
With or without the the cap (for the backside).
[Image: d584a9fc.jpg]

With or without the washer on the backside.
[Image: 7828103d.jpg]

If you dont want to use the cap for the back of the rivet, this is the peening tool used to flare the rivet.
[Image: f751d214.jpg]

Needless to say, I will be using Tubular Rivets from now on!!
I hope this is informative! Enjoy!

Cody
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Old Faithful Holsters
05-10-2012, 08:05 AM
RE: Rivet Comparison
Cody,
Your rivet comparison is very good and informative. I switch to the tubular rivets when I was making magazine pounches. They are stronger and look better. I orded mine from Ohio Travel bag and another place I found during my search for tubular rivets was brettunsvillage. They have leather and all kinds of fasteners and hardware. I have not ordered anything from them but I have posted the links to both below.

http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/
http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/tools/tools.html

Mikey
05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks Mikey!

Cody
05-10-2012, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 11:15 AM by GreenWolf70.)
LOL, I've used Brettuns Village Leather for horsehide but never thought to look at them for rivets too. And I spent a lot of time online looking for good tube rivets. But now I just use Chicago screws instead. They are much easier to use, removable, and better looking too, even though they are more expensive.
05-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the informative comparison, saves some headaches for others, thanks for sharing the information.

Illigitimi Non-Carborundum
05-11-2012, 09:04 PM
just got a order of 200 on it way to try out ...
05-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Nice! You should like them!

Cody
Old Faithful Holsters
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012 10:56 AM by scc.)
can you give me the part # & what size is the tube you use 1/2 ?
the ones that i got are to little and i mean little 3/16 for the head size
05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
The rivets I sent to Cody were the #252 Tubular rivets. Head dia. is 5/16", body dia. is 9/64". they have them in 3/16" to 1 " in length.
Hope this helps.

Mikey
05-21-2012, 01:58 AM
Check them out here http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/FlipBook/P2.../16/zoomed

They are the 252 tubular rivets (halfway down the page), used with the 40-CAP on the right side of the page.

I use the 4/16" and 5/16" depending on the thickness of materials I am going through.

Cody