Old Faithful Holsters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tools of the Trade - Kydex Holster Making
08-14-2012, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 08:10 AM by matefrio.)
Tools of the Trade - Kydex Holster Making
Was getting a list of tools together to help my son making kydex holsters as a small business and would like your input as to what you use or any missing tools.

Drill Press
Belt Sander
Temprature Gun
Scroll Saw or band saw
Toaster Oven
Arbor Press\Rivets
Buffer
Heat Gun
Gun Models\Guns
Press
Cutting Mat
Measuring Tools
Cutting Knives
Foam
Bench\Work Table
Shop Vacuum
Cleaning Supplies

Thanks for your input.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Old Faithful Holsters
08-14-2012, 07:41 AM
RE: Tools of the Trade - Kydex Holster Making
Looks good from first glance. Maybe I'm missing something?

If you haven't already, check out PhillyEDC's video on everything that is required. It's long but thorough. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntntfsrfEQ&feature=plcp
08-14-2012, 08:09 AM
(08-14-2012 07:41 AM)Sam Wrote:  Looks good from first glance. Maybe I'm missing something?

If you haven't already, check out PhillyEDC's video on everything that is required. It's long but thorough. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntntfsrfEQ&feature=plcp

PhillyEDC's video is where I started this list. I didn't find anywhere where he had posted a print of the list, other than inside is video, so I started my own.
08-14-2012, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 10:24 AM by MikeyB.)
Clamps for the press and the small ones to hold the kydex together. Painters tape blue or green. Silver duct tape. dowels,wooden stir stick or craft sticks and oven bake polymer clay for ejection ports,trigger guards and light bearing holsters. Gloves, marking devices (pencils and markers). Screw drivers,pliers, chicago screws, leather hole punch,leather beveler, burnishing wheel. That should get him going.

Mikey
08-14-2012, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 02:08 PM by Ajl79.)
In my opinion I love my bandsaw and scroll saw and would recommend both if money is there. I have been using a combination of my scroll saw and band saw lately. I have one holster I make that requires the bandsaw, I could use snips or a dremil but the cleanup of the edges would take forever. The small intricate cuts I use the scroll saw and I use the bandsaw for cutting belt loops. I mold a sheet of .125 that is 4 inches by 12 inches and rip off loops/ clips in the size I need. This process is fast and standardize.
I will say this. Having the right tools makes the quality curve much more steep.

The best tools I have bought are my bandsaw, scroll saw, drill press, knife buffer, and strip heater. These tools make working with kydex fast and took my quality to a whole new level in a short time.

For a band saw a small 9 in will do. I have a bigger 14 inch one and use it to make jigs from 2x4s as I can rip them down and resaw to a precise size. Very handy to make jigs for clips and loops.

If you get a bandsaw I recommend a timber wolf 1/8 inch blade with a carter stabilizer. That 1/8 blade was hard for me to track on my wheels until I got the stabilizer. Best money spent.

Drilling I recommend a Forstner bit. Way better than a brad point in my opinion.

I also spent some money for a kreg jig system to help make strong joints for my workbench and soon to be new vacuum frame system. I also used it to make my belt loop jigs. This is not necessary at all but it made quick work of my kydex shop buildup.

One thing I'm doing that most are not is thermo wielding. I am doing that as well as riveting. Something to think about but not necessary.

Exciting stuff your son is about to endure.

I also recommend buying about ~200 dollars of kydex to use as a learning curve
Oh sandpaper for wet sanding.