Old Faithful Holsters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Craft Sticks/Popsicle Sticks
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Craft Sticks/Popsicle Sticks
Over the past two months or so, we've been using more and more "craft sticks" in our process at the shop. They're basically popsicle sticks/tongue depressors.
They can be cut with a box cutter or with scissors and have about a million uses.
Cut slivers to block out aggressive light-rails, cover or fill in areas that could generate unwanted retention, fill in trigger guards to prevent a deep mold requiring later adjustment, accent or improve light-channels for light-equipped holsters.
Pick up a package from an arts and crafts store and you'll be out of them before you know it. They're like hot-sauce. You'll put them on everything Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Old Faithful Holsters
09-08-2012, 03:55 PM
RE: Craft Sticks/Popsicle Sticks
I cant touch those things without gloves on. Something about that weird wood grain on my fingers gives me the shivers and I have to wipe that feeling off of me somehow.
09-09-2012, 05:07 AM
I too use them for about everything. Hobby Lobby also sells these little pieces of craft wood that are 3" x4" and a little thicker than the craft sticks. these can be cut with a utility knife and can be used for all sorts of blocking and filling purposes.
09-09-2012, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 07:35 AM by Ajl79.)
I have thousands of them, I have all sizes shapes and thicknesses. I even make little mock up jigs for my holsters with them. I dont see how people make holsters without them. I recommend getting lots and lots of tape. I use the scroll saw and sander to shape them too
09-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I have a love-hate relationship with Popsicle sticks. I love the fact they can be used for lots of things, but I hate using them as they cost money and time. The same goes for wooden dowels, grrr....
09-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Sam, I buy hundreds of sticks for less than 5 bucks. You buying some Gucci Popsicle sticks?
09-10-2012, 12:47 AM
they sell them in big packs at the dollar store here ...
Old Faithful Holsters
09-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Sam probably buys the ones with popsicles attached and then recycles them. I perfer the ones on the corndogs myself. LOL Just kidding Sam.

Mikey
09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
(09-09-2012 01:42 PM)Ajl79 Wrote:  Sam, I buy hundreds of sticks for less than 5 bucks. You buying some Gucci Popsicle sticks?

They're, "100% Certified Organic."

(09-10-2012 12:47 AM)scc Wrote:  they sell them in big packs at the dollar store here ...

What's a dollar store?

(09-10-2012 03:59 AM)MikeyB Wrote:  Sam probably buys the ones with popsicles attached and then recycles them. I perfer the ones on the corndogs myself. LOL Just kidding Sam.

Actually, my girlfriend is the one who eats the popsicles. Like I said, it costs me time. I'm in trouble when winter hits.

Joking aside, how do you increase your consistency with popsicle sticks and dowels? I've had so many times that I've used too much pressure, not enough tape, or both and the darn things slip away during the molding process.
09-10-2012, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 11:23 AM by MikeyB.)
Whenever I use something to form a sight channel or modify the ejection port or any other mods, I put some double sided duck tape on first to hold it in place. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Double-Sided-D...e/17300798 Then I put some flextape on it to secure it, the heat kind of shrinks the tape. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor...=100575721 That is what works for me.
[attachment=452]Here is a picture of one of my blue guns all taped up.

Mikey