Old Faithful Holsters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
liner ideas....
10-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Thumbs Up liner ideas....
I was thinking would it be possible to mold a Kydex holster then cover the OUTSIDE with baliatic nylon on the OUTSIDE with a felt material for the INSIDE. Any ideas? Thoughts
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Old Faithful Holsters
11-01-2012, 12:50 AM
RE: liner ideas....
I would imagine it's possible. I've never heard of anyone combining Kydex with felt and Nylon before.

I would make sure the material inside and outside the Kydex holster would have rivets holding all three pieces together, and bonding material. I would be a little hesitant with felt inside the holster, unless it had a bonding material attached to the Kydex to prevent any wrinkling in the trigger guard which could cause negligent discharges.
11-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Yea. I agree. Maybe not so much inside then but what are your thoughts on nylon mesh on the outside? Or some other material.
11-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Find a bonding solution that works with both the Kydex and additional material. For something like Nylon as outer material, I would just have a longer screw for the rivet.

If you have to chemically bond the material to the Kydex, you're going to have to pay attention to chemical properties. You have find something that doesn't melt the Kydex or Nylon while still maintaining a bond between the two. Certain materials, like felt, may change their consistency when you add a bonding material.
11-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Bonding something like nylon to the outside may work but I also am not sure about using felt on the inside. I had thought about doing leather on the outside but don't know that there is a benefit to it that's worth the extra time/money

I think PhillyEDC had actually mentioned in one of his videos that he tried that and had a couple issues with it. Dirt and grit was getting stuck in the felt and could scratch the gun and the felt was also wearing down over time and the holster lost some of its retention.
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
I have seen mole skin lined holsters and I did see a nylon cordura (multicam) lined exterior. Not sure what glue was used on the nylon exterior...I will try to post a pic if I can find it.

Wallace

Wallace
TacticalStitches

“If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared”---
Niccolo Machiavelli