Old Faithful Holsters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leather lined kydex holster
02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Wink Leather lined kydex holster
Well, there has been some talk about lining the inside of kydex with leather; so I gave it a shot.

I started off with the typical molding process (foam press) but sandwiched some deer hide in between the gun and the kydex when I molded the holster. At this point in the molding process nothing is glued together; all pieces are just sandwiched together. My leather pieces were cut to the same size as my Kydex pieces. Sorry for the lack of pics.

Then after the mold was done, I took the leather out, cut my two kydex halves to their desired shapes and sanded/buffed the edges. Now the kydex portion of the holster is pretty much finished, but we still have the original pieces of leather to work with.

Now is when I bonded the (uncut) leather to the molded kydex halves. I used Loctite spray adhesive to bond the leather to the kydex.

[Image: 3123a482.jpg]

I sprayed the mating surfaces of the leather and the kydex twice (per instructions) with a minute or two in between applications. After the adhesive was nice and tacky, I put my gun into a plastic bag, layed the "somewhat" formed leather back onto the gun and then stuck the kydex to the leather using the gun as the form (pushing the leather into the nooks and crannies). I hope that makes sense because I forgot to take pictures of this whole process.

Once the leather and kydex was back around the gun, I stuck all of it in another plastic bag and put it back into the foam press. The plastic bag is to keep any adhesive off of the inside of the foam press. I let it sit for a about 30 minutes in the press to let the adhesive bond to the kydex.

After the adhesive is dry, take the holster out of the press and trim off all the excess leather. I used an exacto knife for trimming off the leather. The holster is still in two separate pieces at this point. Once the leather is trimmed off, all thats left is to rivet the holster together and add some belt loops. Here is the finished product.

[Image: 2bd8caa8.jpg]

[Image: ab845246.jpg]

[Image: f442618f.jpg]

One thing that I have noticed with the leather lining is that it tends to be harder to draw the gun from the holster. I havent perfected the retention just yet but it really holds onto the gun. It almost feels sticky in a way. But holy crap is it quiet when drawing and re-holstering the gun.

I also flared most of the edges for easier re-holstering and hoping that the leather wont peel away from the kydex. If the leather tends to peel away from the kydex upon more use, I will drill 1/16" holes around all of the edges where the leather meets the kydex and stitch them together to prevent separation.

I just did this to try it out. I personally am not worried about the finish on my carry gun but I know that some people are, so this may be more appealing to some people than others. I personally think I like the feel of an all kydex holster more.

I hope this tutorial is understandable. Sorry again for the lack of pictures. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Cody
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Old Faithful Holsters
02-28-2012, 03:05 PM
RE: Leather lined kydex holster
Great job and a great idea!

Just looking at your pictures, I would say adjust retention by spot heating the backside of the holster at the trigger guard so it relaxes a little. You might want to look at adjustable retention (like in the Old Faithful kits) using a Chicago screw set and a piece of 3/16" rubber hose, in front of the trigger guard and maybe not putting in those 2 rivets on that side.
02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the tips. I was expecting the trigger guard to be the #1 culprit with my retention issue. I am going to try and spot heat the backside of the trigger guard when I get a chance. I am at work currently. I will have to play around with trying to add an adjustable retention screw in the future. Those rivets could also be an issue. My thought process at the time of putting in the rivets was to try and secure the leather as good as possible (which could come back to haunt me).

Cody
02-29-2012, 03:39 AM
(02-28-2012 03:18 PM)nevadahiroller Wrote:  Thanks for the tips. I was expecting the trigger guard to be the #1 culprit with my retention issue. I am going to try and spot heat the backside of the trigger guard when I get a chance. I am at work currently. I will have to play around with trying to add an adjustable retention screw in the future. Those rivets could also be an issue. My thought process at the time of putting in the rivets was to try and secure the leather as good as possible (which could come back to haunt me).

Hello to all! I am Ron Garrett of Garrett Industries. I can probably help you with your retention problem. When you are molding a leather lined Kydex holster you can have no vertical lines, which you created with your trigger guard, If you smooth that out you should get a nice smooth draw.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Hey Ron! Thanks for chiming in on this thread! What do you mean by no vertical lines?? I will work on smoothing out the trigger guard area.

Cody
02-29-2012, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2012 05:11 AM by ron61.)
(02-29-2012 04:39 AM)nevadahiroller Wrote:  Hey Ron! Thanks for chiming in on this thread! What do you mean by no vertical lines?? I will work on smoothing out the trigger guard area.

You can have no lines that run perpendicular to the drawstroke. If you look at our holsters you will see that all lines run with the draw. ejection ports, trigger guards, and control surfaces all are deleted or modified so that everything goes the same way. If you have an inward leading line that runs against the draw your leather will rip or gall and end up jamming the pistol in the holster. As you can see on the holster i made this morning that there are no lines that run against the draw.http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q488...ter055.jpg
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-29-2012, 04:51 AM
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will be trying to fine tune the lines of the holster soon!

Cody
Old Faithful Holsters
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Hey Cody, that is a great looking holster and the write up is very informative even without the pictures. I hadn't thought about molding the leather at the same time you do the holster. I was thinking about molding the kydex with alot of detail,then cut and glue a piece of leather inside the kydex shell. Place your gun in the shell and then put in your foam press and apply alittle pressure to hold the leather in place untill it drys. The leather will not have all the detail and places to snap. I also use mink oil on my leather on my holsters to make them soft and it waterproofs them. My two cents. What thickness of deer hide did you use and what part # is the loctite. Thanks,
Mikey
02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Mikey, the deer hide is pretty thin but I am unsure of the thickness. My dad gave it to me because it was just sitting around. The part number for the loctite is 1418662. You can find it on Amazon.com but I picked some up at the local craft store for $11. I know Loctite makes a good product and it just looked like my best option at the time (thats why I chose to use it).

I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION ABOVE THAT I SCUFFED THE SURFACE OF THE KYDEX WITH 80 GRIT SANDPAPER BEFORE I APPLIED THE ADHESIVE.

Cody
02-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I went to Ron's website and he make some really cool leather lined kydex holsters. In the introduce yourself thread I ask him a question for both of us as to what adhesive he uses. He has been making holsters for a while and should know what works.

Later,
Mikey